Friday, January 26, 2018

A Consulting Experience in Cuba






This course was dynamic, multidimensional, full of insight and learning experiences. When registering for this course my main objective was to gain a deeper level of understanding when it came to consulting specifically consulting within the tourism. I was interested in analyzing the different aspects of the Intrepid Travel Itinerary which included Attractions, Lodging, Meals, Tour Guide, and overall analysis of Intrepid's Marketing of the trip. In specific, I held interests in analyzing two sectors, Lodging as well as Marketing. I have held various positions within the Hotel Operations sector and have built an "instinct" for analyzing lodging. It was an interesting experience amending my micro train of thought and adjusting it to have more of a macro approach. For example, when conducting a heuristic evaluation of an accommodation, I am used to analyzing specific standards such as HVAC Vents, Curtains, Bed Boards, etc, similar to what you would find on a Housekeeping Inspector sheet. On this experience I had to adjust my analysis to more of a macro level due to the environment of the Casa Particulares. It was understood that these accommodations were all not going to have shampoo for their guests due to the rationing system in Cuba. Therefore, it would be unfair in that case to focus on the lack of shampoo in the accommodations. I gained valuable experience when it came to analyzing the marketing techniques used by Intrepid Travel to maximize their potential for this trip. I was able to analyze both the owned and earned media platforms for Intrepid and with the rest of the team formulated a plan of action to best maximize the exposure of the Hola Cuba Itinerary to future travelers by using their current resources. My biggest takeaway was having the opportunity to fully integrate myself into the Cuban culture and understand the intricacies of how to conduct  a consulting analysis for all aspects of a tour itinerary. This course has helped me further define my passions within the tourism sector and I hope to continue my passion for consulting in the tourism sector in future coursework!

-Jonathan L Mendez

No comments:

Post a Comment