Sunday, February 4, 2018

Finding Beauty in the Little Things - by Abigail Clayborne

You’re going to Cuba.  Yes.  You heard right.  Remember that country that has been almost entirely isolated from America since long before you were born? Yes, you’re going there.  For 10 days. 

When I got the news that I would be visiting Cuba in January of this year, I was so excited.  I had always thought of Cuba as the most mysterious island in the Caribbean.  It is so close to Florida, yet it is so distanced from American people.  I knew going into this trip that Cuba would be very different from anything I had ever experienced, but I had no idea how big of an impression it would leave on my life.






The most impactful experience that I had in Cuba was a visit to Finca Agro-Ecologica, which was an organic farm with a beautiful view of the valley of Viñales.  Upon arrival, we met the owner of the farm.  If I was to name a single human being that embodied the Cuban spirit, it would be this man.  He was incredibly charismatic, knowledgeable, and not to mention, had a great sense of humor.  It was clear that he worked very hard to make this farm a success, yet he did not seem tired at all.  This was a man that genuinely appreciated every part of his life.  A man that found incredible happiness and purpose without any of the materialistic values that impact much of our society today. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the tour; learning about organic farming techniques and uses for different herbs that the farm was growing at the time.  The dinner that followed was so delicious, and I loved the concept of eating vegetables that were probably growing in the garden that very morning.  Ending the evening with such an incredible view was the icing on the cake. 


After touring the farm and listening to this man talk about all that he does each day to keep the farm going and feeling the pride radiating off him, I began reflecting on my own life and how important it is to appreciate the little things that make every day special.  The Cuban spirit is a truly special one and I like to think that I brought a little of it home with me.  This beautiful little country has made me so much more conscious of how much I have to be thankful for, and that is something that I will keep with me forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment