Sunday, February 4, 2018

~Disconnect with Technology and Connect with Cuba~

~Disconnect with Technology and Connect with Cuba~
Cecily D'Amore

Our Cuba course taught us so many different things, both about tourism and Cuba. Some of my biggest takeaways from our trip come from my personal experience combining the two.   

 The first thing I learned from our Cuba course is the importance of “People to People travel.” Traveling to a foreign country has so much to offer, but in many cases we as tourists rather experience it from the outside. We travel to 5-star hotels on the beach and spend the entirety of trips within the walls of all-inclusive resorts. Our trip to Cuba placed such a strong emphasis on engaging with the local community. There is no better way to understand Cuba than by talking to locals. This trip gave us a plethora of opportunities to do so, whether through daily excursions or overnight stays in Casas Peliculares (essentially B&Bs). This form of travel exposes you to the realities of the country, and in our case gave us a very real look at Cuban life.

The second thing I learned from our Cuba course is that being without access to service or Wi-Fi isn’t just okay, but is rejuvenating. Using data would have been extremely expensive, and Wi-Fi was not only limited but also wasn't free. The process included purchasing a Wi-Fi card and finding a hotspot to activate it. I rarely did so, and it felt so good to be disconnected. I was able to truly just live in the reality of what was going on in my surroundings. I had no stress from home to attend to and had time to reflect on my experiences without any distractions. As a millennial, I have the tendency to constantly check social media on a repetitive cycle daily. Disconnecting brought me closer not only to myself but also to everyone/everything around me in Cuba.

The third thing I learned from our course is that Cuba is so much more than what I had ever known prior. I understand that it is difficult to make generalizations like such, but I feel that most Americans have this understanding of Cuba that has only been formed from political perspectives. The history that lies between our two countries is complex and full of tensions, but it should not be the only frame through which we view Cuba. The country has both lively cities and rural valleys, intriguing locals and enthusiastic tourists, historical sites and modern restaurants. The political background that underlies many Americans’ understanding of the country tends to overshadow the beauties that lie within Cuban culture.

For these reasons, I implore you to go to Cuba not as a tourist who will stay in a hotel with Wi-fi and only interact with your travel group and waiters. Disconnect from technology and connect with local Cubans and their way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment