Sunday, February 4, 2018

Honey Dipped Cigars


One of my favorite experiences in Cuba took place at the tobacco farm in Viñales. Our group hiked all the way up to a farmer’s home and place of work. Along the way, we witnessed incredible views and even ran into other tourists on horseback. 



Once there, we met a local farmer who was going to show us how he made cigars. I really enjoyed learning about the process of it all and how much hard work goes into making them. We also got to smoke a cigar and drink rum. The farmer told us to dip the tip of the cigar in honey and to then smoke it from that end. I don’t think I can ever smoke a cigar any other way. 



Although the hike was beautiful and learning about cigars was cool, my conversation with the farmer and tour guide towards the end of the tour made this experience one of a kind. The tour guide noticed that my shirt read “Revolucionarios: Latinos Rising”. I told him it was a T-shirt from GW’s Latinx Heritage Celebration in 2015. This prompted a discussion about the need for unity in Latin America and Latinx communities in the United States. 

The farmer asked me where I was from and when I said I was from Peru he said the current situation in Peru saddened him. He was referring to ex-President Humala facing corruption charges alongside his wife. I told him it frustrated me more than anything because it is the marginalized communities in a country that suffer the most when the government that is supposed to protect them contributes to their suffering in order to reap economic benefits. I also told them about how Peru’s elite class rules over the country and that those who hurt the most are indigenous, peasant and Afro-Latinx communities. When it comes to the Latinx living in the United States, I told them we are divided but also reassured them that at the same time, we are working together to make our communities stronger. When I was discussing these issues with them, they took everything I was saying to heart. I cannot really describe the feeling of solidarity but I knew I felt it when I was talking to them.

Cuba has a rich history as a revolutionary country. Like most things in this world, Cuba’s past, present, and future are not black and white. They are intricately grey. The farmer and tour guide felt relieved to know that Latinx youth living in the United States still resonate with the revolutionary spirit that incapsulates Latin America. I remember this experience and our tour of the tobacco farm vividly because of the interaction I had with the farmer and our tour guide. My time in Cuba and overall perspective of the trip are unique to what my peers experienced, excluding maybe Jonathan and Hazel. This is because I am Peruvian-American. I was able to connect with locals in another way. This is not to say my experience meant more than anyone else’s; however, I think it is important to note that the way in which I was experiencing things was in fact different because of my identity as a Latina. 


When marketing Hola Cuba, Intrepid should showcase the diversity of their American customers and our many backgrounds. The videos and photos they use both on their social media platforms and website should reflect all of the individuals traveling with an American passport. Since being back in D.C., I have told almost everyone I know to go to Cuba. I then recommend Intrepid because of how much it’s itinerary and staff contributed to an amazing people-to-people experience. Seeing and hearing what fellow Latinx travelers and individuals from a variety of backgrounds think of their time in Cuba would definitely add value to Intrepid’s marketing strategy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment